ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Glasair III

BMW Z-8, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, or a Glasair III.

Waldo,

You have a standing invitation to fly my Glasair III anytime!! :cheers

Chip

Attachments

• Glasair III Waldo.jpg
    Glasair III Waldo.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 221

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I have wanted a Ford GT40 since I was a kid watching them win at Lemans. To me it was always the holy grail of the automobile. They were even my favorite Hot Wheel and Matchbox cars. When Ford announced that they were going to do the Ford GT there was no question in my mind that I was going to own one no matter what it took. When the first ones sold at outrageous premium I worried if I'd ever be able to own one. Toward the end of 2006 prices normalized and I was able to get my heritage off of the dealer floor. Sometimes I still can't believe that I own one. I have found that since buying the GT I appreciate all the other cars still but dont feel the need that I did before to keep chasin the right car. I had dreamed of F cars, Porsches, etc all my life but nothing is in my soul like the FGT. I grew up motorhead. Can't shake it now.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Great photo Chip. My 14 year old son has the flying bug badly and wants to start lessons ASAP. My wife is convinced his passion for flying started when she was pregnant with him and I convinced her to fly in an acrobatic open cockpit biplane. Of all things I have done, that biplane ride was easily the most thrilling. My son and I recently flew in the B-17 (Flying Fortress) "Liberty Belle" when it was in Florida. Another ride of a lifetime.

One last thing, why the heck are the dentists so sensitive? All the crap us lawyers get around here and I don't recall us complaining (much).

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Great photo Chip. My 14 year old son has the flying bug badly and wants to start lessons ASAP. My wife is convinced his passion for flying started when she was pregnant with him and I convinced her to fly in an acrobatic open cockpit biplane. Of all things I have done, that biplane ride was easily the most thrilling. My son and I recently flew in the B-17 (Flying Fortress) "Liberty Belle" when it was in Florida. Another ride of a lifetime.

One last thing, why the heck are the dentists so sensitive? All the crap us lawyers get around here and I don't recall us complaining (much).

Biplane open cockpit-Pitt Special? An astronaut friend almost made me lose it in one. And how many blood-sucking parasitic leech lawyers do we have here?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Drummers.

I was an automobile dealer for 20 years. Nobody ever said anything negative about car dealers did they? :ack :lol Dentists are kind of like drummers. (He's not a musician, he's a drummer.) :lol One of the opening scenes in last summers movie "The Hangover" contained the line, "He's not a real doctor, he's just a dentist." My good friend Ron Russo (a GREAT dentist and a good friend) gives it right back as fast as he gets it.

This Forum is frequented by some of the finest individuals you will ever meet. If there are two ways to take any comment that you read here, and one of them is bad, take it the other way. All the best.

Chip

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Pitts Specials

Biplane Pitts Special? An astronaut friend almost made me lose it in one.

Flagstaff,

My first two airplanes were Pitts Specials. A two seat S2-A followed by a single seat S1-T. 90+% of the people I took up used the Aloha Bag. They were super fun little airplanes and indestructable in the air. Capable of +9 Gs and -8 Gs.

Chip

Attachments

• Pitts 1.jpg
    Pitts 1.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 197
  • Pitts 2.jpg
    Pitts 2.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 201
  • Pitts 3.jpg
    Pitts 3.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 197

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Chip how many Gs does you Glasair pull?

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I realize this car would have been a maga headache...but I was was hot on trail of getting one....I wanted something unique..Gald I wound up with the GT

View attachment 14031

Great unique choice and fantastic name!! XJ220 screams exotic. :thumbsup

I forgot about those. That is a car I have always wanted to see in person. :cheers

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Back to the point of this thread.

Gentlemen,

There are many desirable cars built today, but there are only a few vehicles I have lusted after my entire life. The Ford GT40 has always been #2 on my bucket list of vehicles I must own sometime before I die. #1 on my list since the time of my childhood has always been the Mustang. An old Mustang.

An early 1940s vintage Mustang.

Like the Ford GT40, the shape of these early Mustangs never gets old. The most beautiful shape in aviation. Before the current financial meltdown, I thought I was getting close. This dream is now fading off into the distance. But somehow, someway, I am determined to pull it off. My friend Bill Hain owns this beautiful example and keeps it at Falcon Field in Mesa, Arizona. Oh, and one more thing. Sometime before I die I would also like to be able to fit into that Simpson flight suit again! :lol

Chip

Attachments

• P-51.jpg
    P-51.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 198

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gs.

Chip how many Gs does you Glasair pull?

I have had it to +9 and -6 Gs.

Chip

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
gt3
srt viper 2009 (One for the track with all the wings of carbon)
v10 r8

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I would have bought a nice '66-'68 mustang and built it like a rocket. I should probably go ahead and do that to keep me from blowing up my GT.

or buy a wrecked GT and rebuild it .. so you can blow it up again. You're already one down my friend. :wink

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Gentlemen,

There are many desirable cars built today, but there are only a few vehicles I have lusted after my entire life. The Ford GT40 has always been #2 on my bucket list of vehicles I must own sometime before I die. #1 on my list since the time of my childhood has always been the Mustang. An old Mustang.

An early 1940s vintage Mustang.

Like the Ford GT40, the shape of these early Mustangs never gets old. The most beautiful shape in aviation. Before the current financial meltdown, I thought I was getting close. This dream is now fading off into the distance. But somehow, someway, I am determined to pull it off. My friend Bill Hain owns this beautiful example and keeps it at Falcon Field in Mesa, Arizona. Oh, and one more thing. Sometime before I die I would also like to be able to fit into that Simpson flight suit again! :lol

Chip

Chip,

I also have had a thing for old Mustangs... truly Cadillacs of the sky (ww2 warbird). Of all the rare ww2 war birds out there that are way too cool I think the second one on my list would be the Mosquito. I don't even think there is one flying anywhere in the world anymore. But my grandfather telling me stories of mustangs and mosquitoes outrunning anything else in the sky just made my eyes light up as a kid.

BTW. if you REALLY want to fit back in that suit, we can get you there. You might not talk to me for the first week of the workout .. but afterward. :lol

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I hope you sold your Boss at the Height of the market. Do you know Dave Bliss or Brian McKay in Tacoma by chance? (at least I think that is how it is spelled)

Yep...did well selling the BOSS. Don't know Dave Bliss or Brian McKay.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Mosquito

I think the second one on my list would be the Mosquito. I don't even think there is one flying anywhere in the world anymore. But my grandfather telling me stories of mustangs and mosquitoes outrunning anything else in the sky just made my eyes light up as a kid.

Steve,

There are three Mosquitos being restored to flying status around the world. The only one that is currently airworthy belongs to Kermit Weeks and he has it on loan to the EAA Museum in Oshkosh, WI. He had another in his Fantasy of Flight Museum in Florida that was destroyed when a hurricane ripped the Museum apart in 1996. Here's his on display in Oshkosh.

Chip

Attachments

• Mosq 2.jpg
    Mosq 2.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Mosq 1.jpg
    Mosq 1.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 191

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
would love to see one fly in person ... a ride in one would be pure fantasy.

thanks Chip. :thumbsup

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Before the GT was announced for production, I never thought of buying, nor would I buy, a car as expensive as the GT because I could not justify the price. If Ford never made the GT, I still would not own an "exotic".

I'm in the same boat. I was satisfied building 67 -68 mustangs. Sold my 2 Panteras and was sitting around for 10 years not seeing anything I liked. I even thought about building a GT-40 kit but figured it would run like a kit and take too much time I didn't have to build it. Then along came the GT and local arrogent dealers to match. I would not have bought the GT if it were not for the internet. I'm glad I was able to get one. Now I'm eyeing the 2011 mustang....not so much for the car but all the guts I could swap in to my 67.
I think I could use it all but the skin. :thumbsup

Scott Y

Jul 17, 2009
re: xj220
I forgot about those. That is a car I have always wanted to see in person.

The only place I've ever seen one is in Vegas:

[url]http://autocollections.com/index.cfm?action=inventory&tab=ondisplay[/URL]

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I nearly bought AJ's (ByeEnzo's) etype coupe. He had another buyer on it that was waffling, and when I made the offer, the other buyer finally stepped up. I'm SO GLAD HE DID!!! LOL.

When I decided to go to an exotic (not counting my Esprit or my 911 turbo as such despite how much I love those cars), I was cross shopping a Murcielago, a F430 and the GT. After driving each of them, there was absolutely no contest. And while I might like to add a Gallardo Spyder to the garage one day, I think that I'm more likely to add a 2nd GT if the finances allow it.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Of course I was joking 2112. I am just one of the lucky ones who has never had a cavity. :biggrin I have never really had to test the theory that some dentists are better than others. I usually put a disclaimer at the bottom when I make such statements but I was waiting for soroush to take offense first as I believe he is a dentist as well. :wink :cheers

I couldnt take offense, I do own a porsche:bored but I dont get my nails trimmed:biggrin

2112, welcome to the site, dont take anything these guys say seriously. you will not find a greater bunch of guys to spend a few hours with everyday than here, and if you are a ford guy the gt is one car that should be in your garage. it really is "the one" and the "only" in my opinion. it is the best of all worlds. fast, easy on the eye, easy to work on, low maintenance, cheap maintenance, easily modifyed, and everlasting beauty that cant be matched. i read somewhere that the muira was inspired by the gt40 I personally think the muira is the best looking car ever!

I would have never bought an exotic, I figure if I cant fix it, I dont buy it. never wanted a lambo or ferrari, because I never felt that I could work on it myself. besides I knew how slow and dissapointing they would be. I would have probably bought a superformance cobra black with no stripes ofcourse, and yes it would have been very fast.:lol