THE Tire Thread

What Combo Do You Use?

• Total voters

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I appreciate the concern but I am confident in a "extreme braking or cornering forces" the setup I have will perform light years ahead of the crappy Goodyear stock tires. Also, driver experience and skill plays a factor in this once in a lifetime situation and I am confident of my skills.

Both you and Fubar are using combinations that have the stickier compound on the rear, so in extreme conditions, the car will simply understeer more, which is if anything, easier to control, for any driver.

But nonetheless, street-driving with race tires specifically designed for use in one-minute autocrosses or only in the wet is not the best idea I've ever heard.

But if it works for you, great.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The compound is the same on the front and rear... the fronts are just treaded. These are tires that are made for extended track use not drag racing. My understanding is that the A6 is designed to operate at lower temperatures.

Last edited:

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Both you and Fubar are using combinations that have the stickier compound on the rear, so in extreme conditions, the car will simply understeer more, which is if anything, easier to control, for any driver.

But nonetheless, street-driving with race tires specifically designed for use in one-minute autocrosses or only in the wet is not the best idea I've ever heard.

But if it works for you, great.

I was skeptical also but Torrie has been using them for ~30k miles without a problem. I believe he even runs the stock goodyears up front.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I was skeptical also but Torrie has been using them for ~30k miles without a problem. I believe he even runs the stock goodyears up front.

Yeah I have gone thru more sets of Hoosiers out back then most. I used to run the goodyears up front but have something a hair softer and wider now then I will have R6's all the way around.

I don't see a huge negative by using the Hoosiers primarily for traction out back with a harder tire up front on the street. Its been 3 years for me so far.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The optional BBS forged wheels have the following specs:

Front Wheel:
5 Lug, 4.50" Bolt Circle
6.90" Back Spacing
50 mm Offset
18" x 9" Wide

Rear Wheel:
5 Lug, 4.50" Bolt Circle
7.295" Back Spacing
40 mm Offset
19" x 11.5" Wide

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
As an update to this thread I do not like the lower profile Hoosiers any more. I can't go anywhere. Also the "wet" tread design makes to much noise for highway use. The A compound is preforming as expected and I will get some more As, just not the 345/30 combo.

That is all.

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
What tires are you running now fubar?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
For street use, I'm running the bridgestones. I'm still look for a better track tire.

Does anybody use full race goodyears on stock wheels?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I don't think they available in our wheel sizes - I think the largest they go is either 16" or 18".

...Does anybody use full race goodyears on stock wheels?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Fubar, talk to Ed Sims and DriveBy.

TwoSeatsOrLess

May 4, 2010
Has anyone tried any of the Nitto tires? They seem to have sizes that would fit in the INVO http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire.invo.sizes and the NT05 http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire.nt05.sizes

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I've heard good things about Nitto but I don't see any tire sizes I would use for street application 345/30/19 is to low for me. a 35 or 40 would be much better.

TwoSeatsOrLess

May 4, 2010
So when you said you "can't go anywhere" was it because the 30 was too low and you bottom the rear diffuser now?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
So when you said you "can't go anywhere" was it because the 30 was too low and you bottom the rear diffuser now?

Yes, when I put on my track wheels with the hoosiers (345/30/19), my car bottoms out on my driveway and minor speed bumps. The tire also fails IMHO to properly fill the wheel well. My car is lower two full inches so most cars will not see results this extreme.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Are the fronts 102mm tall? Are you running the Bridgestones now? How do you like those?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I've been really pleased with the bridgestones. I'd like a sticker option for the track but I can't find a good size combo I like.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I've been really pleased with the bridgestones. I'd like a sticker option for the track but I can't find a good size combo I like.

Don't like Hoosier for the track?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Don't like Hoosier for the track?

I've been using the 345 A6 for my track tire but it is to low. I guess I can use the 315 but I'd rather find the "perfect fit."

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I've been using the 345 A6 for my track tire but it is to low. I guess I can use the 315 but I'd rather find the "perfect fit."

Run the 315