Clarkson Not So Funny Spoiled My Le Mans Plans

D11VEJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 14, 2007
Peoria Illinois & London UK
I was looking around the site yesterday and saw the Top Gear clips on Jeremy Clarkson and the Ford GT he bought. This explained everything.

In March 2005 I was at the Ford World Headquarters on business, all the key Directors were there, after we concluded our business I took the opportunity to broach the subject of purchasing a New GT or 3 for use in UK.

Unbeknown to me, and to my complete annoyance, my son told me later that they were already having fun with Mr Clarkson. So instead of getting their complete cooperation to provide me with up to 3 new cars for a great movie idea, 'Reliving Le Mans 1966' for which I was prepared to invest the list price for new cars and make the movie with old and new footage, instead of the help I thought I might get, quite the opposite, I was politely told they had no intention of supplying any more UK cars. If I wanted a GT, a local dealer had a USA car for which he was asking the princely sum of $350,000, twice list price. That ended that great idea.

I must say that whilst I liked Jeremy Clarkson and rather enjoyed his way of bringing nice cars to the screen, I do not appreciate the stupidity of him and his TV crew spoiling a nice piece of machinery for laughs, I will find it hard to forgive him for his foolishness for the sake of cheap and ridiculous TV footage, he spoiled my le Mans plans, and after all, I had a new Lotus with exactly the same problem, you just get through it. After all of this, I am now satisfied that the Ford GT was obviously not a car suited to a British TV Car Show Presenter -Thats English for Jackass.

Jeremy, you owe me one, I have bought about everything you have every recorded, the Ford GT is a fabulous machine, I have a Ferrari 575 and the Ford is half the price and twice the fun. I suggest that these guys who drive different cars every week can't really be expected to be a good judge of anything, its a bit like wine boffins, if you have drunk one you have drunk them all. You have to make out otherwise if your living depends upon it.

Look at how many cars Clarkson has bought in his movies and then drove out of the dealership to stop outside and then wreck the new car with a sledge hammer as the salemen who just sold it looks on in complete bisbelief. JC is obviously a comic not a car boffin, so thank God he has sold his GT, he now has a wonderful Audi-made Baby Lambo, its just an Audi Jeremy.

If I have wronged Mr Clarkson in any way, good, and if any of you know him, please tell him I know why he bought an Audi, they make first class immobilisers that are made so well they are fool proof.

Seriously, I am going to ensure I see the USA this summer, got the first trip planned for May, 3,000 miles in 6 days, whooopeee, thinking of asking Jeremy, perhaps not, its well known in the UK, he can't drive, its the ex-racer 'The Stig' that does all of the driving. Just having a laugh Jerr.

The GT is at the dealers for a pre-season drive shaft bolt change and new oil, its now 1,700 miles vintage. I am really concerned about the oil item I just read, I pray they know more than the guys dealer who seems to have put the wrong type of oil in.

Have a Nice Day

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I was looking around the site yesterday and saw the Top Gear clips on Jeremy Clarkson and the Ford GT he bought. This explained everything.

In March 2005 I was at the Ford World Headquarters on business, all the key Directors were there, after we concluded our business I took the opportunity to broach the subject of purchasing a New GT or 3 for use in UK.

Unbeknown to me, and to my complete annoyance, my son told me later that they were already having fun with Mr Clarkson. So instead of getting their complete cooperation to provide me with up to 3 new cars for a great movie idea, 'Reliving Le Mans 1966' for which I was prepared to invest the list price for new cars and make the movie with old and new footage, instead of the help I thought I might get, quite the opposite, I was politely told they had no intention of supplying any more UK cars. If I wanted a GT, a local dealer had a USA car for which he was asking the princely sum of $350,000, twice list price. That ended that great idea.

I must say that whilst I liked Jeremy Clarkson and rather enjoyed his way of bringing nice cars to the screen, I do not appreciate the stupidity of him and his TV crew spoiling a nice piece of machinery for laughs, I will find it hard to forgive him for his foolishness for the sake of cheap and ridiculous TV footage, he spoiled my le Mans plans, and after all, I had a new Lotus with exactly the same problem, you just get through it. After all of this, I am now satisfied that the Ford GT was obviously not a car suited to a British TV Car Show Presenter -Thats English for Jackass.

Jeremy, you owe me one, I have bought about everything you have every recorded, the Ford GT is a fabulous machine, I have a Ferrari 575 and the Ford is half the price and twice the fun. I suggest that these guys who drive different cars every week can't really be expected to be a good judge of anything, its a bit like wine boffins, if you have drunk one you have drunk them all. You have to make out otherwise if your living depends upon it.

Look at how many cars Clarkson has bought in his movies and then drove out of the dealership to stop outside and then wreck the new car with a sledge hammer as the salemen who just sold it looks on in complete bisbelief. JC is obviously a comic not a car boffin, so thank God he has sold his GT, he now has a wonderful Audi-made Baby Lambo, its just an Audi Jeremy.

If I have wronged Mr Clarkson in any way, good, and if any of you know him, please tell him I know why he bought an Audi, they make first class immobilisers that are made so well they are fool proof.

Seriously, I am going to ensure I see the USA this summer, got the first trip planned for May, 3,000 miles in 6 days, whooopeee, thinking of asking Jeremy, perhaps not, its well known in the UK, he can't drive, its the ex-racer 'The Stig' that does all of the driving. Just having a laugh Jerr.

The GT is at the dealers for a pre-season drive shaft bolt change and new oil, its now 1,700 miles vintage. I am really concerned about the oil item I just read, I pray they know more than the guys dealer who seems to have put the wrong type of oil in.

Have a Nice Day

I've never cared for JC's attitude towards American cars period.. His wit can be funny at times but I really don't pay much attention to his opinions.. Sadly enough I remember the "Monkeys" quite well.. If you swing thru S. FL look me up !!

Last edited:

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I've never cared for JC's attitude to wards American cars period.. His wit can be funny at times but I really don't pay much attention to his opinions.. Sadly enough I remember the "Monkeys" quite well.. If you swing thru S. FL look me up !!

Well.... don't feel too bad they are still running in syndication.... or at least thats my story and I'm stickin to it! :biggrin

How about the Monkee Mobile???
S

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Clarkson's an @ss

Clarkson's an @ss. How many times has he called a particular car's acceleration "incredible," etc., only to be overwhelmed by the next car he drives. I'm tired of his anti-American drivel, and his euro superiority complex. If he had an ounce of brains, and five minutes of patience, he'd still be driving the GT.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Monkey Mobile- Thought it just sold at BJ this year :confused

D11VEJ - If in your trip ya hit North Carolina - Look me up! :cheers We'll take care of ya!

Best view or shot I saw of JC was driving the Aerial Atom. A Picture is worth 1k words! :rofl

Last edited:

jdoc7

GT Owner #1872
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 7, 2007
Central, Illinois
Curious which dealer you brought your GT to David? I don't trust ANYONE around here! See ya Saturday.:thumbsup
!

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
You guys remember when Top Gear got their panties in a bunch when the GT-500's dyno RWHP didn't match Ford's crank rating? Although something tells me that the anti-American tone comes more from the writers of the show then Clarkson I might be talking out my ass but he does seem to really like the Ford GT and couldn't stop talking about it in the GTX1 clip(not topgear).

Last edited:

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
Erm, you really thought that with only 28 UK cars that Ford were going to sell you 3 at list price? At list price I'd have bought 10!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Erm, you really thought that with only 28 UK cars that Ford were going to sell you 3 at list price? At list price I'd have bought 10!

Yes quite.

I have the advantage of some here in that I've met Clarkson a few times and he's actually a very nice guy, however I won't let that get in the way of those who've never met him call him an ass. :wink We might not agree with his views - I've had several cars that he's heavily criticised - but I'd resist writing him off as a fool.

I'm also not convinced that Clarkson is anti-American and nor is the show. Sure he doesn't rate some American cars with leaf-spring suspension - but Europeans have nearly always wanted different things from their cars, less muscle and more capable handling. Many American muscle cars were (almost) invented for racing between the lights on 'Telegraph Road' - our DNA is different with twisty narrow roads to contend with.

I think it's terribly easy to polarise opinions that all Europeans are ignorant (which someone helpfully posted here a while back) or that criticising some cars as being anti-American. When JC hammered the Vanquish, I didn't think he was being anti-British, simply rather critical about a car I happened to like.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
He blows

He uses the GT on cover of his DVDs; so he is a hypocrite too.

He still owns it i hear.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Boys you all have to admit that American cars for the most part have sucked up until recently.

I haven't owned an American car (not including trucks) for over 30 yrs until 2005 when I got a Mustang GT convertible to go to work in. It has been as reliable as my past Nissans, Toyotas and Porsches, and more so than my Volvos, and even though I really have a problem with the cheap dash and solid rear axle, it is overall a huge improvement over my last American car, a 69 Mustang.

I think JC recognizes this in his belated praise of the Cadillac CTS and Z06, but his criticisms of parts of those cars are well founded. But perceptions change slowly, witness Mercedes still being highly regarded for quality even though their quality ratings fell below the Korean brands in the past few years.

Also, he has written that his GT was ruined by an aftermarket alarm. He just had a profoundly bad time of it, and it became a running joke. He DOES praise the GT in his last American test, remember "I've driven 50 miles in it already and it hasn't gone wrong once, no warning lights, no screeching alarms, just me and half a million horsepower for company, fantastic!"

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
He still owns it i hear.
Pinocchio told you I assume?

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
JC loved his Ford GT. He took any possible excuse to get it into the show.

He contributed to the car being well known AND popular here in Europe (I still get stopped and asked if I am driving Mr Clarkson's car).

Top Gear is a show, it's a bit of comedy, with 3 blokes having fun and talk about things they like. These things happen to be cars.

Also TG needs to sell. How boring would it be if they just liked every car? Plus don't you make fun of your friends shortcomings? It is all in good spirit.

If he kept saying he loved the GT it would have not been funny. Saying that it does 75 miles to the tank and he needs to stop on his way to work is more entertaining. As it is the fact he bought his car twice, or that he got woken up in the middle of the night because his stolen car was sitting in his garage.

Come on... I get phone calls from the alarm people when I forget that stupid tracking card telling me they think my car has been stolen whilst I am driving it...

As per the 28 UK cars there was a substantial questionnaire with references and reasons to buy that had to be filled if you wanted to get one.

The fact that you wanted/needed 3 and didn't get them when the likes of Damon Hill had to be approved is not surprising.

Plus I am sure Ford thought (and rightly so) that Clarkson buying a GT would give them much more publicity return, so it couls have been a purely business decision...

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Pinocchio told you I assume?

That's cheeky... you have insider information :wink

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
That's cheeky... you have insider information :wink
:lol Yeah. I was being a bit flippant I admit. Plaster dust everywhere does that to you :frown

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Monkey Mobile- Thought it just sold at BJ this year :confused

! :rofl

The Monkey Mobile was a 1966 Pontiac GTO convertible Big Block ! :banana :banana

Monkeys.jpg

--

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"WAS" being the operative word there...

(Are those Ansen "Sprint" wheels on that thing?)

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I remember watching that show as a young spud thinking that car was the coolest thing ever. Now :bored........ kinda looks like the driver ought'a be wearing a big orange wig, large red nose and some big o'le floppy size 24 shoes.:rofl

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
I remember watching that show as a young spud thinking that car was the coolest thing ever. Now :bored........ kinda looks like the driver ought'a be wearing a big orange wig, large red nose and some big o'le floppy size 24 shoes.:rofl

Oh come on that car is the coolest thing ever ! I'd put it in the stable. :thumbsup

Check out the blower on that ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about thread hijack.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

are you old enough to have danced the Freddy?:biggrin:cheers:biggrin