Anyone owned a Nissan GT-R?

Longhorn

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Houston
Hey Guys, Happy New Year!

Have any of you owned a Nissan GT-R? I'll NEVER get rid of my FGT, but I'd like a daily driver. Been back and forth between a Porsche Turbo, a ZR-1, a GT-R and a Viper, and then reduced it further to a GT-R or a ZR-1. I think I'm going to order a 2012 GT-R. 530hp and much improved in terms of driver feedback is what I'm hearing. I'm thinking as a daily driver, it might be a bit better in the rain than the ZR-1.

Has anyone had one? If so, your experiences with the car would be greatly appreciated!

Jess

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I too am interested in folks thoughts, as have considered similar options. Also like the V10 R8, but quite a bit pricier (similar to porsche turbo)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Roketman has one. He is selling his current one to get a 2012

He loves the car.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?21093-2010-gtr&highlight=Roketman

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I also have one and LOVE it!

Have the R8 V10 also and like the GT-R better... transmission is awesome and like the FGT with a few "cheap" bolt ons the car is FAST!

Put 2000 miles on mine at the Utah Fast Pass last year. Comfortable. Big Trunk. And put a BIG scare into DBK that I was going to take his FGT TT top speed at Miller HAHAHA

Did I say these cars are FAST??

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Not a fair comparison between your GTR and your R8 considering the R8 is pretty much stock, and the GTR has LoTS of motor work, tons of bolt ons, custom suspension, wheels, etc etc. I actually like the GTRs quite a bit, but not sure I would take over a v10 R8... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
true true, but having spent a lot of time in the GTR motor work aside the cars are awesome and much more usable than the R8... has a back seat for a briefcase or small kids which is nice, big trunk for hauling stuff around, transmission is light years ahead as is the AWD system... R8 has the mid engine cool factor but small barely usable trunk in the front...

For a daily the R8 is smooth and fun and an awesome car, but not as functional for a daily when compared to the GTR in my opinion... :cheers

oh and... VENT (Nav / Radio is wayyyy better in GTR... I hate the R8 nav...) :willy

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I'd be curious as to which car has more expensive maintenance, the R8 or the GTR. The looks of the R8 are 1,000% better than the GTR. If you don't need a trunk, get the R8 with the gated shifter!!!

Longhorn

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Houston
Wow! She's a beauty. I drove an '09, not really wanting to like it, and was astounded at what a great handling car it was.

BTW: How's the approach/departure angles on yours with it lowered? I'm hoping in the stock ride height it will be OK for steep driveways and the totally sh_t roads we have here in Houston.

Jess

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
honestly really good even slammed like it is. Roads in Utah were not great and even with the more aggressive carbon splitter I didn't have any issues...

Don't get me wrong, love the R8 V10... it is just like the GTR all blacked out with red calipers, 6 speed... nice car... but for a daily the GTR wins, and for mod factor the GTR wins in that more HP is available much cheaper... just my 0.02$ and worth that :biggrin

as far as maintenance costs one has lamborghini parts and one is a nissan... from what I have seen nissan is much cheaper.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
here is a pic of my R8 I bought from Shelby... 93 miles on it when it showed up... only mods so far are aesthetic... did my usual all black and red HAHA so hard to break habits :willy

Attachments

• R8 V10.jpg
    R8 V10.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 5,552

Longhorn

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Houston
The R8 is nice too, but I agree as a daily the GT-R would be a whole lot easier to live with. Maybe not the cachet of the Audi, but much more practical!

Jess

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I've driven a GTR a few times. Really liked it. My only issue was seat back/bottom a bit narrow for taller/larger folks due to pretty big side bolsters.
Ray - did you mod your seat at all, as you are pretty tall too?
Thanks

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
actually I haven't had an issue with the stock seats at 6'4"...

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I must say I love the car !
If you want a bargain ,Buy mine 10k in mods!
2010 premium package
10,300 miles
Stillen front spoiler and side skirts, painted to match
Stillen brake cooling kit
Willall front and rear diff coolers
Willall tranny cooler
Front and rear cameras
Mid-pipe
Cobb tune
Jhook racing rotors and XP pads
EXTRA SET RIMS with Toyo 888's
Dunlop SP's
Clear bra on all leading edges, roof, hood, front, rockers, etc...

Absolute perfect and clean, no stories, factory warranty.
NEVER LAUNCHED
All original parts included (except brake rotors)

http://picasaweb.google.com/ronsavenor/2010GTR

Serious offers only. ronsavenor@gmail.com
This one is a real beauty 69999

Longhorn

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Houston
I left a deposit on a 2012 yesterday. "Black Edition" in Super Silver. ETA 2 months...

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
What was approx MSRP on the black edition? What improvements over the standard edition 2012?
Thanks

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
The GT R is an awesome car. We have worked on a lot of them and have done everything from full race car builds to simple exhaust systems or service work. I am sure you will love your car!

Peak- Are those carbon ceramic brake rotors on your car? They don't appear to have the normal sheen of an iron rotor. Might just be lighting or my eyes not looking closely enough but they look just like our carbon ceramic discs.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Just ordered my 2012 black edition in blue !!!
I am getting the 1st one in Ma.!
Man I hope my 2010 sells soon !

H

HHGT

I was told they are taking orders for $1000 off MSRP for 2012 and that 2010 unsold models are $10K off MSRP

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
what improvements does the black series have over standard 2012?