Smart Bolts

JCE-GT

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2006
Mission Viejo, CA
Guys,

I ran across this article the other day and thought it was worth sharing here on the Forum. With the subject being "Smart Bolts", I thought that we would all find it rather interesting. Looks like hardware could be getting a lot "smarter" in the future.

Transducers take the load off bolts
2008-06-30 08:48 GMT

In an ideal world, each bolted joint connection in an aircraft, spacecraft, or Ford GT axles (I added the last one :lol) would be fastened to achieve precisely the desired load and all bolts belonging to a specific application area would get a consistent load to ensure even force distribution.

“Reality is quite different, though,” said Robert Molsbergen, President of the King of Prussia, PA-based company Load Control Technologies (LCT). “Tests have shown that bolt clamp loads scatter by up to ±30% when the tightening is merely torque-controlled and by up to ±15% if torque and angle control are applied.”

The conclusion to these findings is to specify the tightening load much higher than necessary to make sure that the designed load is achieved even under worst conditions. “In other words, clamp loads are indirectly estimated,” said Molsbergen.

Frank Scheuch, Managing Director of German Intellifast says one primary goal of load-monitored fasteners is “to eliminate exceeded loading and thus to minimize strain and stress during assembly.”

The scatter between minimum and maximum bolt loading has a number of unwanted consequences. For one, high bolt loads limit the lightweight design freedom as the load scatter necessitates more and stronger material to cope with the high tightening forces. Lightweight composite structures for instance are particularly sensitive to overloading.

Uneven pre-loads caused by conventional bolt tightening due to the influence of under-head friction and thread friction make things worse. According to Scheuch, load-monitored fasteners facilitate even bolt loads that safely achieve locking torque with minimum nominal load. This feature will help to avoid damages at the ply edges of composite materials by minimizing interface compression.

Another downside of the load scatter is that there will be an element of uncertainty about the remaining pre-load of a joint after a number of flight cycles. In practice, the bolts have to be checked with a tool one by one to make sure that potentially problematic joints are brought back to normal. This process is slow and labor intensive, which also means it is costly. Maintenance intervals are a balance between cost and possible bolt failure or vibration loosening.

An answer is found in electronically controlling the preload. Currently there are two variants of the same technology. Both rely on fixing a transducer to the head of the end user’s bolt.

For precise tightening, the fastening tool is equipped with a probe and additional electronics that adjusts the tool’s torque to the actual preload of the bolt. To measure this load, an ultrasonic signal is sent down the bolt. The time of flight until the echo arrives back at the transducer directly correlates to the stress and bolt elongation, which in turn is precisely defined for each bolt material and design.

“It is the principle of a bat shouting down a bolt,” said Scheuch. Intellifast calls its assembly load control solution Permanent Mounted Transducer System (PMTS) and has recently extended the product portfolio by a high-temperature version of the PMTS that can withstand up to 320°C and also by a version that is highly corrosion resistant. Bolts with PMTS are available down to the metric size M4. Currently, PMTS technology is in the verification phase for various Airbus aircraft and is part of the Rolls-Royce lift system for the Lockheed Martin F-35B.

By measuring the signal time of flight, both the LCT and Intellifast technology versions of the transducerized bolts allow a measurement of the installed load to 3% accuracy. Inspection during maintenance is done with a simple probe instead of a tool. In under 2 s the bolt load is measured in the actual joint without disturbance and to 5% accuracy through the life cycle of the bolt, claims LCT. In addition, each single bolt can be identified via a 2-D barcode during fastening and inspection and the load control data can be stored.

The difference between the LCT fastener system and Intellifast technology is the process by which the transducer is fixed to the bolt. Intellifast uses a high vacuum process for bonding the transducer to the substrate. LCT on the other hand has completely overhauled its originally commercialized Ultrafast Intelligent Fastener transducer and electronics. For its current i-Bolts the company uses a cold fusion manufacturing process that can also be licensed. After upgrading the piezo ultrasonic transducer’s capabilities, the first big validation project for the i-Bolt is the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

“Going into production for this airplane after a four-year certification process is probably the best validation one can get,” said Molsbergen, adding that NASA has also certified i-Bolts for the booster tanks of the space shuttle.

The sheer speed by which bolts can be checked may soon lead to other applications, Molsbergen is confident. “Helicopter rotor bolts for instance can be checked within 15 min if the bolts are transducerized, so the aircraft is quickly available again for military or combat service.”

And here is a picture of a few transducer bolts :thumbsup Enjoy all.

JCE-GT - Tungsten - 0187

Attachments

• Transducer Bolts.pdf
    53.8 KB · Views: 172

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
Very cool. There are endless uses for somthing this. Aircraft ofcourse,automotive,construction,heavy equipment. Things like bridge suport bolts that have been found to fail after years of strees and go unchecked. I would like them on cyl. head bolts on the race car. I'm sure it won't be long before Apple has there own version where you can like your i-pod and i-phone to a bolt in your car and down load all you music via blue tooth.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have asked an engineer to comment. These bolts are not for every application.
There are major issues about where they can be a plus or cause major failures.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yeah, yeah, IndyGT knew this stuff and tried to spout it, but couldn't quite bring it down to our levels (should have used the bra clip example).

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Just another great technological design being developed! New cars do not look like model T's anymore because of constant changing improvements. All I can say to this new bolt tightening design is "why didn't I think of it?!"
Actually after reading the first sentence the first thing that came to my mind was...shoot a high frequency sound down the bolt, duh.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
To My Buddy Frank!

JCE-GT, thanks for posting up the article on transducer equipped bolts. These bolts are an interesting evolution and most probably an improvement in insuring bolt pre-load in certain specific applications. Unfortunately IMO they are somewhat limited in applicability and environmental conditions.

Determining initial bolt pre-load and sustained bolt load throughout design life is a classical engineering concern. It is an interdisciplinary issue in that all branches of engineering (civil, mechanical, aerospace, chemical, etc.) must deal with bolted flanges in some form within each engineering practice. Thus all engineers are exposed to and must understand bolted joints often to insure the safety of their design. Sounds easy enough but actually it can be quite complex. Case in point is the FGT axle bolt failures. Believe me this was a very complex failure mode, difficult to detect, understand and predict. However the Ford engineers rose to the challenge and DID solve the problem with the new bolt kit.

Initial bolt pre-load has always been a difficult issue. The article discusses the virtues of using transducer equipped bolts to help solve this problem and I fully concur, anything engineers can devise to better guarantee and quantify initial bolt load the better. When the end of the torqued bolt is accessible, the most precise method of determining/validating bolt load is by measuring bolt stretch with a purpose built micrometer. By measuring the bolt stretch after torquing, the bolt load can easy be determined using the formula:
d = (F x L)/(A x E)
Where : d = Resulting bolt stretch after torque (measure this)
F = Bolt load due to torque (solve for this)
L = Length of the bolt under axial load
A = “Tensile area” of the thread
E = Modulus of Elasticity of the bolt material

ARP automotive Racing products (www.arp-bolts.com) has some very informative discussion papers regarding the technical aspects of bolt design and proper applications. Note, I have no financial or other interest in this company other than I am familiar with their catalogue and believe it fairly represents the technical topics presented.

The engineering challenge comes from determining the initial bolt preload in an application where you do not have access to the “other” bolt end for measuring the initial stretch. These situations are much more common in engineering designs (engine head bolts, flywheel bolts, axle bolts, etc.) and due to the significant variations in thread friction and bolt head friction the variation in bolt load can and is significant. The transducer measurement technique is proposed to help reduce the friction related uncertainties in the bolt load determination. Unfortunately, there are application limitations for this technology which I believe limit their applicably.

In designing bolted joints in aircraft engine rotating components, safety is of the utmost importance. If these critical joints fail, engines can explode resulting in the loss of an aircraft and loss of life. It is very important. Many of these bolted joints operate at very high rotational speeds (some above 60,000 rpm) and high operating temperatures (often close to 1000°F). Thus even though the article says high temperature transducer equipped bolts can operate up to 608°F (320°C) it is not clear they can do so in a rotational environment which puts the bolt-head affixed transducer in a very high “G” loading environment (based on the bolt circle diameter). Centrifugal force on the transducer is a function of bolt circle radius; higher the radius the higher the load.

Also many bolted joints are “space limited” meaning there is very little space around the bolt head in its application. There were no pictures as to how large a transducer is affixed to the bolt head but clearance issues (at least from a refit campaign of an existing design) may preclude their use as well. In our FGT axle bolt application, there is very little room in the CV joint cavity above the bolts which were the focus of the 07B49 Ford recall campaign. In rotating applications (especially at high speed) bolt heads as well as protruding nuts can produce significant “windage” drag as the protruding structures whirl around the bolt circle. It is questionable if an attached bolt head transducer could sustain these rotational air loads, or if the design can tolerate the increased power loss due to this parasitic air drag loss. This is not to insinuate the transducer bolts do not have merit. I am sure many “static” applications could derive a benefit from their incorporation. Cost is also an important design consideration. Less-so as flange criticality goes up, but still a consideration. The article does not talk to pricing of these bolts.

Talking specifically to some of the article highlights:

[“Tests have shown that bolt clamp loads scatter by up to ±30% when the tightening is merely torque-controlled and by up to ±15% if torque and angle control are applied.”]

Absolutely true! Anything which can be done to reduce the ±30% in bolt load scatter is beneficial. Note, by going to torque + angle control method, bolt load scatter is reduced by 50%. A significant reduction. Guess why the FGT engineering team specifies this type of torque procedure for the 6 halfshaft bolts in this critical flange? Because it is the best method the team can insure the correct bolt load is present in this flange. Once again, Fred’s design engineers did the right thing and specified the most accurate tightening method for our car’s drivetrain.

[The conclusion to these findings is to specify the tightening load much higher than necessary to make sure that the designed load is achieved even under worst conditions.]

So what? It does not “cost” any more to torque a fastener up to its material capability. Good engineering practice is to ALWAYS use as high an initial preload as the bolt material can withstand. Typically 90% of Tensile Yield Strength (YS) is used. Some tightening procedures go to even higher loadings by exceeding the material YS. These are your Torque-to-Yield (TTY) fasteners which are also used on our FGT 6 halfshaft bolts.

[Lightweight composite structures for instance are particularly sensitive to overloading.]

Bolt loading influence of composite structures is a very unique and small percentage of all bolted applications. To present this as a major shortcoming of traditional tightening methods is probably unrepresentative.

[In practice, the bolts have to be checked with a tool one by one to make sure that potentially problematic joints are brought back to normal. This process is slow and labor intensive, which also means it is costly. Maintenance intervals are a balance between cost and possible bolt failure or vibration loosening.]

My experience with critical rotating aircraft bolted joints is they better have been assembled and torqued correctly by the mechanic when the engine is first assembled. The engines are certified to be “on-wing” for thousands of hours and no intermediate inspection requiring removing the engine from wing and disassembling to make sure the torques are still “good” is planned or required. Maintenance for these types of checks ARE cost prohibitive and would bankrupt the airline quickly and your engine company would quickly be out of favor as no one would buy your engines. Thus to eliminate mid-life bolt load checking, 1) Use an appropriate bolt material suitable for the application which can be torqued to a level sufficient to give the required bolt load. 2) Develop specific assembly procedures based on testing to determine if a recommended thread lubricant is to be used (or not) and 3) Torque the fasteners and measure the resulting bolt stretch or if this cannot be accomplished, use the torque + angle method to minimize bolt load scatter.

Understanding bolted flange design is not as simple as it might appear and any advanced method introduced to help quantify initial bolt pre-load is a welcome science. However limitations on this new methodology must also be appreciated to understand fully the applicational benefit.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Now I will explain the Krebs cycle for cellular biochemical energy generation.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

take it down a notch - how about the next morning after to much Plymouth Gin :rofl:rofl:banana

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Waiting to hear your version, as I've seen 2 other opposing treatises on this subject....

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Dear Dr. Frank,
My left testicle is hanging lower than my right one.
I have recently put them both on scales and they weigh the same.
Please confer with IndyGT and see if he can recommend some of these new nuts.
Thank you in advance for coming to my ass-istance.
Cheers,
Bony

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Dear Dr. Frank,
My left testicle is hanging lower than my right one.
I have recently put them both on scales and they weigh the same.
Please confer with IndyGT and see if he can recommend some of these new nuts.
Thank you in advance for coming to my ass-istance.
Cheers,
Bony

One side hanging down further may be an indication of one side being heavier than the other. This can upset your balance and could negatively impact your PERFORMANCE. Ask Mrs. Bony.

You may need some scales to check the corner weights to become a better balanced person.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Soooooooo...whatchur sayin', Indy, is that my old 'shop foreman's basic "torquing" principle that a bolt oughta be tightened, "...'til it just can't be tightened no more - or 'til it sqeeks, whichever comes first", izzunt too good an idea, then?:eek:eek:eek

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
One side hanging down further may be an indication of one side being heavier than the other. This can upset your balance and could negatively impact your PERFORMANCE. Ask Mrs. Bony.

You may need some scales to check the corner weights to become a better balanced person.

Clinton, I need someone with medical expertise to weigh in, but normally your hypotheses are spot on. Thank you:thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It is normal anatomy for one testicle to hang slightly lower than the other, but both are usually the same size and weight. This is similar to women's breasts, one is usually slightly larger and lower than the other. Bony, I think you're fine unless you have a hernia; reading Indy's heavy explanation could give you one.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Hi ya Empty. Glad you got the point of my discussion as I knew it would fly over Franks head.....

You CAN overtorque a bolted connection, and that is not good. Given a big enough torque wrench or breaker bar and small diameter bolt you can twist the head of the bolt off. Not good or desireable.

My recommendation is to follow the manufactuer bolt tightening procedures to the letter. These procedures are usually there for a reason especially in joints which are viewed as critical.

See you in Vegas as we gather around the Makers Mark bottle!!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bill, Thanks for your post, first time I read it, I had comprehension issues.
Now after four Makers Manhattans it all seems logical and very clear.

Thanks, Frankie, I was concerned, by the way each one is slightly larger than a regulation basketball, is that ok?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Often known as elephantiasis. Could be due to a Southeast Asian infection.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Often known as elephantiasis. Could be due to a Southeast Asian infection.

nope.... normal pent up frustration as seen by recent posts :rofl